Peppered Mako Shark with Spring Asparagus, Roasted Mushrooms and a Red Wine Reduction
Items You Will Need:
- 2 Pieces 7-8oz Mako Shark Filets (Cut in 1/2's to make Medallions)
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 TBSP Black Pepper (Coarse Grind)
- 1 TBSP Flour
- 2 TBSP Pure Olive Oil
- 1/2 Bunch Asparagus Tips (Steamed)
- 1 Cup Wild Mushrooms (Pan-Roasted)
- 2 Each Shallots (Cut into 1/4's and Roasted)
- 4 Ounces Red Wine Sauce
- 1 TBSP Herb Oil
Directions to Make:
- Cut and prepare the Shark Filets into medallions.
- Season the Shark Filets with the Kosher Salt first.
- Sprinkle the Shark Filets with the coarse ground Black Pepper to evenly coat the medallions and lightly dust the fish with flour.
- Place a saute pan over medium heat and add the oil.
- Place the medallions into the pan and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown edges appear.
- Turn the medallions over and sear for an additional 2-3 minutes until the meat becomes firm with a slight spring back when touched.
- While the Shark Filets are cooking, prepare the other ingredients to complete your dish.
- Remove the Shark from the pan and allow to rest while completing the accompaniments.
Steps To Plating:
- Pool the Red Wine Sauce on a plate or into a bowl.
- Arrange the Peppered Shark Medallions overlapping on top of the sauce.
- Place the Roasted Mushrooms and Shallots around the medallions and arrange the Steamed Asparagus tips around the dish.
- Finish the plate with some Herb Oil and serve.
Marinated Mako Shark Grilled With Potatoes, Mushrooms and Salad
- 1 pound fresh Mako shark
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauc
- 1 red pepper, half finely chopped, half sliced
- 1 red onion, half finely chopped, half chopped into rings
- 2 lettuce leaves, shredded
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 5-6 olives, sliced
- 3 large mushrooms
- 4-5 potatoes
- Salt and black pepper to season
Mako Shark Steaks
In a medium sized bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic, paprika, soy sauce, the finely chopped onion, finely chopped pepper, orange juice and lime juice, mixing together evenly. Make enough marinade so that the shark steaks or fillets will be completely covered, when put in the bowl and the salad seasoned. Put this in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, so that the Mako will absorb the marinade sauce. After marinating, place the shark steaks or fillets on a hot grill, for 5 minutes then flip over for another 5 minutes. Turn the meat over onto the side first grilled and allow another three minutes of grilling time per side, until the fish starts flaking easily.
Salad and Potatoes
On a separate section of the grill, put the potatoes whole, allow them to cook for 3 to 4 minutes, then turn over and repeat. The mushrooms and onion rings should be placed next to the potatoes and cooked for 3 minutes then removed from the grill. While the potatoes and shark meat are being cooked, in a large bowl, toss the lettuce leaves, tomatoes, olive and pepper slices with the unused marinating sauce.
After all preparations and cooking are done, in a large plate, dish out the grilled Mako shark and salad. Cut the potatoes in half, adding butter to the inside part and set next to the salad. Enjoy.