Crab Meat Special
Atlantic Blue Crabs
Atlantic Blue Crabs or just blue crab is a native to Atlantic waters around the southern eastern United States and Gulf of Mexico. Blue crab have been an important source of North American and European fisheries since the 1500’s or earlier. Fisheries exist along much of the Gulf Coast as well as the Atlantic Coast of the United States. Historically, as early as the 1600’s, blue crab has been an important source of food for Native Americans around the Chesapeake Bay. They have also been used effectively as bait throughout much of this same area, serving a dual purpose in the fishery economy. The largest blue crab fishery in the world now exists in Louisiana with twenty two percent of the nations blue crab harvested there. Prior to Louisiana, the largest blue crab fishery in the world for more than a century was located at the Chesapeake Bay. The region around the Chesapeake Bay is a significant site for crabbing, with even recreational crabbing catch numbers reaching near four million pounds. Blue Crabs are harvested using pots specially designed to allow the crabs into the pot but affords them no means of escape.
Crab Meat Special
For classification purposes crab meat special is defined as crab meat harvested from shreds and small flakes of white meat from the body cavity of the crab. Special crab meat is very versatile and can be used in a wide cross section of dishes. Generally any dish where one would use white crab meat allows for the use of special crab meat. White crab meat is generally white in color although it does contain a naturally occurring red or brown tinge throughout the meat. White crab meat is very low in fat while being extremely high in protein. White crab meat has a delicate and sweet flavour as well as a sweet aroma. The texture is flaky yet slightly chewy. White crab meat is most commonly served in sandwiches , risottos and salads.
Top Quality Crab Meat Special From Anderson Foods
Anderson prides itself on a holistic approach and so from engaging suppliers who use best practice methods to farm the crabs, to utilising a zero carbon method of delivery, we enshrine the virtues of quality product, consumer satisfaction and eco friendliness. Any crab can come from the sea, lake or pond, but your crab meat special from Anderson foods is sent to your plate from heaven.
Buying Fresh Seafood Online from Anderson Seafoods has never been so easy, or tasted so good!
Jumbo Crab Cake with Classic Tartar Sauce and Arugula Salad
Makes 6-8 Crab Cakes. Serves 4-6 People
Items You Will Need
(For Each Plate)
- 1 Each Crab Cake (3-4 Ounces Each)
- ½ Cup Wild Arugula
- 1 tsp Lemon Oil (3 Parts Olive Oil / 1 Part Fresh Lemon Juice)
- 1 pinch Flakey Sea Salt
- 2 Tablespoon Tartar Sauce
- ½ Each Grilled Lemon
Recipe: Crab Cake
- 1 Pound Jumbo Lump Crab Meat
- 1 Tablespoon Yellow Peppers (Small Dice)
- 1 Tablespoon Red Peppers (Small Dice)
- 1 Tablespoon Chives (Chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1 Each Large Egg
- ½ Cup Bread Crumbs
- ½ Teaspoon Habanero Chili Pepper (Small Dice)
- ¼ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Ounces Clarified Butter for cooking
Directions To Make:
- Combine all the ingredients in the crab cake except for the crab meat and bread crumbs.
- Over an ice bath, fold in the crab meat.
- Gently add the bread crumbs until thoroughly mixed. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Pre-Heat the oven to 350°F while prepping the Crab Cakes.
- Take a round ring or a round mold and press in the crab mixture to form a hockey puck-like disk. Repeat until all the crab meat mixture is used.
- When ready, gently coat the top and bottom of the Crab Cake with Bread Crumbs.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, add the clarified butter and cook the crab cake about 2 minutes on both sides until golden brown. (Be careful not to cook too hot, as the butter will burn quickly)
- Remove the Crab Cakes onto a cookie sheet and place in the pre-heated oven for 5 minutes to cook throughout.
- Remove from the oven and place the cooked crab cake on a paper towel so the excess oil drains, reserving for plating.
- Arugula Salad
- Tartar Sauce or Traditional Remoulade
- Grilled Lemon
Steps To Plating:
- Spread the tartar sauce across the front of the plate.
- Place the crab cake in the center of the plate, slightly overlapping the sauce.
- Toss the Arugula